Spa and Hot Tub Shock Treatment

Our Oxy Shock spa and hot tub products provide a non-chlorine treatment to sanitise the water with immediate results. If you haven't used your home spa for a while, it could benefit from shock treatment.

What is spa shock treatment?

Spa and hot tub shock treatment uses chemicals to remove potentially hazardous pathogens. When it comes to spa shock products, you'll generally be able to choose between chlorine shock and non-chlorine – or oxidising – shock treatments.

Chlorine-based spa shock treatments use chlorine to break apart chloramines, known as combined chlorine. They kill pathogens, including bacteria and viruses, by creating more free chlorine in the water. These sanitisers are effective but can give out a strong chemical aroma.

On the other hand, Oxy Shock products use an odourless oxidising agent to break down organic matter and non-bacterial contaminants.

How does Oxy Shock treatment work?

Oxy Shock spa products work using an alternative treatment based on oxygen release. The main benefit of this is that you won't get the same overpowering, strong chlorine smells that you might expect from chlorine shock treatments.

The main benefit of using a non-chlorine shock is that you can use your hot tub again sooner - and it's easier on your skin too. However, you might still prefer to use a sanitiser like chlorine or bromine in conjunction with Oxy Shock to promote safe and hygienic water.

How to use shock treatment

To dose and distribute shock treatment, fill a clean plastic container with warm water. Add the required amount of Oxy Shock to the container. Then, stir well with a clean wooden or plastic stirrer and distribute evenly in your spa.

You'll need to follow specific instructions depending on your hot tub or spa type, which we've detailed below.

Using shock treatment for home spas

Spa and hot tub shock treatment can be used as an alternative to or in conjunction with chlorine. Here's how to use Oxy Shock treatment for various types of home spas:

Chlorine-treated spas

  • Shock weekly with Oxy Shock.
  • Add 30g per 1,000 litres of water. Leave overnight.
  • Test the chlorine levels before re-entering the spa. You can do this using test strips.

Oxy Shock-treated spas

  • For spas treated just with Oxy Shock, add 30g daily per 1,000 litres of water – the spa is safe to use again after 30 minutes.
  • Shock dose weekly by adding 100g per 1,000 litres of water.
  • Leave overnight and test chlorine levels before re-entering the spa. If chlorine levels are too high, you might need to use a chlorine remover

Whirlpool baths

  • Add 25g directly into the bath after bathing.
  • Run the pump for 5-6 minutes, then drain to waste.
  • If you haven't used your bath in a while, add 100g before bathing and run the pump for 10 minutes. You can then drain and refill to bathe.

How to safely administer shock treatment

It's important to remember that you'll be working with harsh chemicals when you use spa and hot tub shock treatment. To keep yourself and your family safe, we recommend that you:

  • Wear appropriate gloves and eye protection
  • Do not mix shock treatment with any other products or chemicals
  • Add the shock treatment to the water, not vice versa
  • Keep containers firmly closed and store in a secure, cool, dry and well-ventilated place
  • Always wash your hands after handling chemicals
  • Before recycling an empty container, always rinse thoroughly in pool water

Get advice from Swimming Pool Chemicals

If you'd like to know more about shock treatment for your hot tub or you have any questions about maintaining a spa, we're here to help. Our experts are always on hand, so please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Read More

View as Grid List

4 Items

Set Descending Direction
per page